7.07.2010

Stars and Stripes

Violet's first Fourth of July went off with a bang! We were insanely busy with parades and birthday parties, ball games and pool time. Now that we're back home in our quiet house, I think the poor girl is bored!

We started out our weekend festivities by cramming into the Loughman house with the whole fam-damily. It's getting to be a tighter squeeze every year, but that just makes it all the more fun. Then Saturday morning we were up bright and early to take Violet to her first Fourth of July parade. (Confession - I think it was my first Fourth of July parade too.) One thing I did not take into account ahead of time: people toss candy from the floats as they go by. And when I say toss, I mean more like chuck wild handfuls in every direction. So Violet and I retreated to the golf cart and watched from a safe distance. I have to say, Peachtree City puts on a pretty decent parade.


Little Miss Fourth of July!

Shocked to discover Violet has already outgrown her hats...

Playing games with the family.

The happy crew. From L to R  (standing): me, Matt and Violet, Matt's oldest brother Rob, the patriarch and matriarch of the family, the middle bro Greg and Lauren. (seated): Brooke, Nicole (Rob's wife) and Will.

Saturday finished off not with a bang, but a whimper. After Violet got hijacked by the grandmas for a walk around the neighborhood, Matt and I snuck off to our pal Brian's 30th birthday party. I left strict instructions that we were to be called should my friend put up a fuss, because let's face it, it is one thing for a grandma to put up with a screaming baby, it's another for an entire house of company to be inconvenienced as well. Sure enough, Violet expressed her displeasure loud enough to clear the downstairs level of the house, furtive phone calls were sent our direction, and finally straight up requests for us to return. Which I promptly did. Naturally, after that the little stinker produced the loveliest smiles for everyone, once they were lured back downstairs by the sudden silence.

The cousins had fun hanging out with each other. Will and Brooke are getting so big! (How annoying to hear that for them! I promise I don't say it to their faces. But it is amazing to watch them grow.) They love to play with Violet (although they love her more when she's happy!)






For the first time this year, we were able to host everyone for a day at our new house, and the kids especially loved the fact that we have a pretty awesome neighborhood pool. The weekend was also filled with a Braves game (post to come), another book club, celebrating Lauren's birthday, and lots of fun and silliness all around. But I have to say, be it ever so humble, there's no place like home after a long, busy weekend away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...