7.16.2010

Good Golly Godparents!

It was with great joy and much excitement that Matt and I were finally able to introduce Violet to her Aunt Danielle and Uncle Lukas this week. It's been a long overdue moment. But since Violet's godparents live in Santiago, Chile, it has had to wait. Still, it was worth it when the big day finally came.


Uncle Lukas is my favorite!

 No, Aunt Danielle is my favorite!

This visit was everything I could have hoped for and more. First off, when these kids come home there is literally a line of people waiting to see them. Sometimes we're lucky to squeeze in a family lunch before they're dashing off to the next appointment. But this time, we were first in line, haha! It was basically a two-day long non-stop conversation as we caught up on each others lives, talked about plans for the future (plans that will hopefully bring Lukas and Danielle closer to us at some point in time). We reminisced about our childhood. They told us about life in Chile (where they have an awesome drink involving wine and strawberries, and an even awesomer one involving alcohol served in half a melon with a straw. Hello!) They got a snapshot of what our lives are like with Violet, right down to helping give her a bottle and attempting another go at eating cereal from a spoon. They played a little game of "she likes me more... no, she likes me more!". We ate steak and IHOP and browsed in Barnes and Noble (Chile lacks the authentic bookstore experience, apparently).

Uncle Lukas kissing Violet's feet. Let the spoiling begin!

One of my favorite moments from the visit came early Thursday morning. Matt was off at work and Danielle was sleeping in. Lukas and I hung out in the living room, drinking our coffee. Eventually I woke up the little lady and Lukas and Violet got some sweet one-on-one time where she was all smiles and sunshine for him. 


One of the things I miss most about Danielle and Lukas being so far away is just all the togetherness we miss out on. Sure, we swap emails, they send monthly updates, we've skyped. But nothing beats two people you love sitting in your living room, just existing together. My heart aches just a little every time they have to leave, and even more so now that Violet is a part of the family. I mean, they won't be back until Christmas. Violet will have changed so much by then! She has an awesome aunt and uncle that she is going to miss, and there are so many little moments that they'll miss of hers. But they are serving a great purpose in Chile, and as much as I selfishly want them nearby, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that someday we'll share the same area code. Or at least country code. And these two golden days we've shared I will treasure in my heart until we see them again. (Sorry for all the sap, people. Family can do that to me.)

Fika time!

Violet approves of her long-lost aunt and uncle.

1 comment:

  1. yay for the immaculate first meeting!!! violet's godbrother (yes i agree with you that since they share godparents our kids are god sibs...we should make sure that we never bungee jump as a foursome, putting dan and luk at risk of inheriting many children at once.)will be catching his first glimpse of his elusive set of godparents this wednesday. geez violet looks like lukas so much and et is still just the prettiest lil girl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...