7.01.2010

Follow Me Follow

I'd like to give a big shout out to my newest follower, Brooke! Brooke and I were college roomies for a couple of wonderful years. She is fabulous. She has a little girl named Sydney and another one on the way. When I found out I was pregnant, Brooke was one of those wise mommies I went to for advice. She answered every one of my questions in the kind of detail a girl like me requires, she even sent me a list of everything I should register for and debated me on the pros and cons of deluxe travel systems. And even before the question of kids came up, she gave me excellent advice on going back to school for a masters/teaching certificate. I'm basically just living her life, a couple years behind. So welcome, Brooke! Thanks for joining us on this wild ride. (And if we had owned digital cameras back in college, I would have pictures to post of us. But as it stands, I'm just too lazy to scan any right now!)

As for all you blog stalkers (and I know who you are!!), if you also click the little "follow" button there on the right, I might publicly say all sorts of nice things about you, too!

Also, the title of this blog comes from a song I used to sing as a little girl. I don't really remember the melody anymore, and I sort of assumed it was just a nonsense little ditty. But to my amazement, it's a real song called "The Hippopotamus Song"! Good Lord, what did we do before the power of google, eh? Anyway, the song (the part of it that I remember) goes like this:

Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me follow, down to the hollow
And there let me wallow in glorious mud
 
But now that I've read the whole thing... Apparently it's about a rascally hippo who stumbles upon a "fair hippopotami maid" and sings to her about the glorious mud, hoping to seduce her. Apparently it works, because in the last verse, he's a father of ten who "longs to be single again". Not, perhaps, the most appropriate song for an impressionable little child of a mere three years. But what to do?
 
We're going to have a busy Fourth of July weekend ahead, so pardon if the blog goes dark for a few days. I'll be back with lots of news, I'm sure. There will be relatives to catch up with, friends to see, lots of junk food to eat, schedules to deviate from... We're planning an excursion to the ballpark for Violet's first Braves game, and doubtless much drama and hilarity will ensue. 
 
(Aside: I went to Walmart to get a little Braves onesie for Violet to wear to the game and they were 13 bucks! Dude... I know it's officially licensed and all, but still, I wouldn't even pay 13 dollars for a Braves shirt for me to wear (sorry Braves). Five dollars maybe, but nothing over ten. So I left empty-handed. However, I'm learning that one need only mention such a dilemma to a grandma and they will be all over it. Thanks, Mimi! Now, if only I had a little battery operated hand-held fan to keep Violet cool while we're there... Ahem. Any takers?)
 
Here's a picture, to reward those of you who read all the way to the end:
 
 Matt practicing to make sure he's up for hauling our 15-pounder around a baseball stadium.
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the shout-out! I feel so special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi looks like she's holding on for dear life but thoroughly enjoying herself :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...