3.18.2010

Stand Up and Be Counted


I've never been so excited to fill out a census form before! Somehow it's these official forms (her social security card, the census) that make it all seem real. She doesn't just exist for us, she exists in the world. She counts!

So Tuesday night was rough (hence my lack of blogging). Violet was up and wide awake at midnight, 1:30, 2:30, 4:30-6 a.m.... For the most part she wasn't fussy, just wide awake. I mean, if I'd been missing her big (still) blue eyes, I certainly got my fill. I kept taking her into the living room so Matt wouldn't be disturbed (not sure how well that worked) and we would rock back and forth in the recliner.

And as it often happens, I had time for some pretty productive thinking. The first thought was, we HAVE to put the swing together. I bought one Tuesday during our weekly pilgrimage to Target, but we were too lazy to put it together. So yesterday the swing was duly assembled. Verdict is still out on whether Violet enjoys it. But that's another story.

The second deep thought I had, as I rocked back and forth in the darkened living room, the tiny, warm swaddled bundle of my daughter in my weary arms, was this. It is time to give it another shot. We have to get Violet's days and nights sorted out. Poor thing just doesn't know which way is up. Now, you all know what happened last time I attempted something like this. But being up at 5 a.m. with a child who is totally content just hanging out in your arms (and only your arms) will reinspire you, trust me.

So yesterday is began. And you know what, it went really well! After every feeding, I worked hard at keeping her awake for a little bit before letting her nap again. And what a difference a week makes! She is so much more alert these days, able to look around, track objects with her eyes (I think), stay awake... I even pulled out the playmat for her, which she enjoyed for quite a while. Then when she started getting antsy, I swaddled her up, rocked her a bit and sent her back to dreamland.

 I don't think she's actually looking at any of the toys hanging around her, but she seems fascinated by something

And you know what? Last night was so much better! So score one for Violet and score one for me. Everyone was right. She's getting more mature every day, able to handle more of this world, and I just needed to wait for her to get there on her own. I'm trusting my instincts and it appears to be working. But before I get too ahead of myself, let's see how today goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...