3.10.2010

Cry, Baby

So yesterday I had the insane idea that Violet needs to learn to fall asleep in her own bed. So far, she's been falling asleep happy and warm in someone's arms. (After all, what are Grandma's arms for?!) But the problem comes when I try to take her from my arms into her PnP. The transition does not go over well. And who can blame her. Safely curled up and warm to the cold, empty expanse of the PnP? I'd fuss, too. But since I can't sit here holding her all day and Grandmas must eventually go home, I decided last night that the time had come. I held her until she got nice and drowsy, then bravely put her to bed, switched on the monitor and left the room.

Silence was golden, for about five minutes. Then Violet decided she was tired of being all alone and decided to voice her opinion on the matter. Everyone says a little crying can't hurt, but man, that girl can wail. And wail she did, in all its heartbreaking, chin wobbling, tear inducing fury, for five minutes. Ten minutes. Fifteen minutes. I have to hand it to Lee Anne's self control that she didn't give me a dirty look and rush in there to the rescue. Matt was barely hanging on. I faked nonchalance, pretending that I knew exactly what I was doing, that the heart wrenching cries weren't affecting me one bit. But that sweet girl just kept wailing forlornly until I finally gave in and went to rescue her.

The minute I picked her up, her crying stopped. I held her against my chest and pressed her wet cheek against mine. I tried to explain to her what we were doing. I told her we loved her. That we would always be there when she woke up. We hadn't abandoned her. And for the next ten minutes, that's how we remained - cheek to cheek, quietly absorbing our togetherness. She slept so soundly last night, exhausted from all the exercise her lungs got. We still haven't gotten the whole "put her down for a nap in her own bed" thing, but you know what, there's always another chance today. There's always tomorrow. I can hear my mother now, saying "she's only two weeks old!" And it's true. I can't imagine I'm ruining her for life by not having the whole nap time thing figured out yet.

Speaking of two weeks, she had her well check yesterday. My sweet baby has grown a whole inch since she was born!! I thought she was filling out some of her clothes better, but a whole inch?! At that rate, I almost expect to actually observe her growing before my eyes! She has regained all her birth weight plus some and the doctor gave her another stellar review. So even if we don't have this nap time figured out, I guess we're doing okay.

1 comment:

  1. For about the first 2 months of Noah's life, his nap time was in his swing. Once she gets a little older, napping in the bed will get much easier! Especially if you have a musical and/or moving mobile for her to look at as she drifts off to dreamland. That helped Noah tremendously!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...