3.19.2010

Do they serve popcorn in Heaven?

So remember all my bragging about how Tuesday night sucked, but Wednesday was awesome? I had renewed motivation to help Violet switch her days and nights around and she played into my plans perfectly, staying awake when she was supposed, snoozing when she should, etc? I was so proud! We were turning over a new leaf! This was going to be the start of something exciting! I had visions of her sleeping peacefully through the night in no time, awakening happy and refreshed each morning, ready to chow down on a full meal and giggle and coo her way through the day.

Well, what's that saying, if you want to make God laugh just tell Him your plans? Well, God must have had a riot yesterday. He probably called all the angels over just to look down at us and guffaw. I bet some of the angels even brought popcorn. Because yesterday was a disaster. Not in a violently crying, spitting up every five minutes, diaper blowout kind of way. Just in a disappointing, not how I planned it, bummer kind of way. Violet wouldn't open her sleepy little eyes to save her life. I tried everything. Normally I would have been thrilled to have so much time to get stuff done while she's quietly asleep in her bouncy chair. But after my perfect Wednesday, I was just disappointed. And to make matters worse, Violet's eating was off as well. She's rouse herself drowsily to snack for ten minutes or so, then sleep for another hour, only to wake up and want another snack. And I normally feed her every 2.5-3 hours or so, making this a huge difference in our schedule. It was such a bummer. The night wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. But mostly I was just so down about the whole thing. I really thought I was on to something. But the minute I think we've got something down, or I have her figured out, Violet changes it up on me and I'm left right back at square one. I felt a little bit like a failure yesterday. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a day totally unlike any other (except the eating thing). But after the brilliancy of Wednesday, it was definitely a let down. Sigh. Oh well. To quote Anne of Green Gables, "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." We're giving it another shot today.

And in that regard, we're doing a little better. She's back to eating every 2.5-3 hours or so, although she decided to spit up her entire lunch in protest of the sponge bath I was giving her. Also, the verdict is in on the swing - she likes it! I plopped her in there once she fell asleep, hoping she wouldn't really notice and would just grow accustomed to it. Well, that stinker opened her eyes and checked things out! Fortunately, she seemed to approve and went right back to sleep again, allowing me a nice shower and time to pack all our gear for our trip to grandma's!

Yesterday's attempt lasted just long enough to snap this photo. Violet definitely wasn't convinced about the glories of the swing. I started to wonder if everyone has duped me with their stories of swing happiness.

Today. She seems to like it much better. Although even as I uploaded this shot, she opened her eyes, looked around suspiciously, and started snorting, sneezing and coughing back to back. Not sure what it means, but as long as she's not crying, I'm going to assume the swing is still a go.

2 comments:

  1. can't remember if i talked about the swing in my diatribe to you on gear, but judah has probably spent a total of 1 hour in his in his whole life. no worries. and like everyone told me and i had to learn, they are going to be nocturnal until they feel like it and nothing you can do can fix it. nothing is sadder than trying to force a newborn to be awake when they dont want to. youre doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you talked about "Happiest Baby on the Block", but I wasn't sure if you actually read/watched it (we were given a video that was awesome!) Anyway, the video told us that you can keep your baby swaddled and still put her in the swing. That helped us a lot since Noah liked being swaddled so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...