5.26.2010

Two Daughters and a Golf Cart

So this past weekend, one of my bestest pals in the whole world came to visit. Shelly and I met in Texas and although we only knew each other for a year before we moved back to Atlanta, our friendship has survived the distance. She has really been a rock for me throughout this adventure in motherhood. She offers advice when I need it, checks up on me (and my breastfeeding boobs), encourages me to push through the rough patches and savor the sweet moments. One of my favorite things to do is visit her in Texas, and I've managed to get her out here a few times as well.

On one of those visits, I took her on a golf cart ride around Peachtree City. She was having trouble visualizing a city where residents drive around on golf carts everywhere... Anyway, she loved it. And somehow the promise was made to her daughter Katelyn that before the girl turned 13, she'd be out here driving a golf cart.

With only a few days to spare before Katelyn's birthday, the promise became reality. And our firstborn daughters finally got a chance to meet.


It was pretty much love at first sight. In fact, I didn't see much of Violet this weekend because Katelyn had her well entertained the entire time. "When you're done feeding Violet, can I play with her?" was the most-heard refrain in the house. And I was happy to oblige.


In fact, Shelly had to fight to get a turn with the baby. But it was well worth it, as you can see. How completely blissed out does Violet look? Shelly makes a far more comfortable napping spot than I do! Even I can't compete with that! (Violet's little hand is getting a bit possessive, don't you think?)

Our girls on their first golf cart ride!

It only took three tries to get Violet to look at the camera. And good Lord, I look freakishly tall!

Emily was kind enough to host the long-awaited golf cart ride. Emily and Shelly are so alike, they became good friends without even meeting each other in person. They really are each other's other half, I do believe. Lucky me, I know them both! I'm plotting a trip for me and Emily out to Texas one of these days, and am already campaigning for Shelly to return with her hubby so he and Matt can play golf and have some man time (Shelly and Jeremy have three girls at home... Jeremy could use some man time!)

The entire visit was lovely. There was the aforementioned cart ride, a cookout on our porch with various other friends, a walk down to check out our neighborhood pool for the first time, the doughnuts and tons of other food (seriously, the food this weekend was a little out of control), Shelly discovered Nutella for the first time, we had lunch with one of her high school friends who just happens to live in Suwanee as well, and lots and lots of lounging on the couch.

The trip ended with another first. Minutes after dropping the girls off at the airport, Violet decided she had had enough of the car (this has started becoming a worrisome trend... screaming in the car). I promptly exited at the first Chickfila I saw (Hapeville) and proceeded to feed my little friend in the backseat of the car. It actually wasn't bad. I left the air running, locked the doors, and we just hung out back there. She was pissed the minute I put her back in the car seat, but fell asleep moments later and we made it back home silently safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...