5.25.2010

How do you celebrate five years? With doughnuts, of course!

So I always thought I'd make the five year anniversary a big one. There would be some extravagant trip, perhaps back to our honeymoon destination. There would be sparkly presents, or an expensive dinner requiring me to buy a new dress. There would be a big lead-up, it would be a huge deal.

Then Violet came along. And I have to be honest - I was simply happy that Matt took the day off work and we got to spend some time together as a family. We started the day with a trip to Dutch Monkey for some doughnuts. But really these things are more like dessert.


Violet, however, was a little jealous that we were eating a little slice of heaven and she was not. She quickly expressed her displeasure and we hastily packed it all to go.


Then Matt and I got all inspired (motivated in part by our weekend visitors) and finally hung up a bunch of pictures around the house. These are in our sun room. To make it even more fun, we looked through all our vacation pictures, then picked four to have printed in black and white for the four small white frames you see below. Ah, memories...


Then we ordered pizza (highly disappointed by the Johnny's Pizza in Suwanee, FYI. When you have to season your own pizza, obviously the cook did something wrong) and watched tv. It was a nice, quiet day of togetherness. And you know what? I probably enjoyed it even more than I would have had we taken that expensive trip. It seems fitting that we celebrated five years of marriage with a day that reflects who we really are on all the other 364 days of the year.

Besides, there's always our ten year anniversary...

PS Perhaps my only regret is that we didn't get any pictures together. It's so hard! We have almost no photos of the three of us because, hey, one of us have to hold the camera! And I hate being that bothersome stranger and asking people to take snapshots. But one of these days, I swear, a family portrait will be taken!

PPS My sweetie friend Natalie is posting a bunch of wedding stories on her blog while she's on her honeymoon... look what was featured today!

1 comment:

  1. I had similar grandiose plans for our 5 year anniversary that did not materialize. Funny how things change when baby comes along! :) Also for family pics you should get a Gorillapod Flexible Camera Tripod. (http://www.vat19.com/dvds/gorillapod-flexible-camera-tripod.cfm) We were able to hang that from our sliding glass door handle and take a pic of me and Carl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...