4.07.2011

Paint by Number

So I said I wanted to paint the bedroom over spring break. And success is ours! It only took two days and five different paint samples spread over three separate trips to Home Depot to fulfill this spring break promise of finally, finally painting our master bedroom. But all good things are worth the effort. Here's how it went down:

Our goal was a bluish-gray slatey color. Our original three samples colors (see below) were Arrowhead Lake (my original fav), Americana (in case Arrowhead dried too dark and ominous) and Regatta Bay (figured we'd hate it but wanted something really different to contrast).

Who names these things, anyway?
Well, it turned out that we did indeed hate Regatta Bay, Americana reminded us of a boy's nursery, and Arrowhead was just a little too purple. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. Perusing Home Depot's fine collection of color, I was a little freaked out by the purplish-ness of everything after our first failed attempt. Our previous samples had scarred me - I no longer trusted my own judgment. It didn't help that everything look so different once slapped on our walls. Every wall. Our bedroom was starting to resemble a crazy garage sale patchwork quilt, and not in a good way.

We grabbed English Channel, and on a whim, right before leaving the store, threw in a sample of Windsor Haze. Sure, this last one looked good. It seemed more gray than purple. Still had that dark, cozy feeling we were after. But I wasn't going to get my hopes up.

The winner? Windsor Haze, top left corner. Last paint purchased.
But darn it all, if it wasn't the very last paint we picked! After fifteen bucks in paint samples, we finally had our color. I hated spending the money, but it was worth it to try those little sample cans. (And now I have lots of leftover paint to play with should our next bambino be a boy! Someday. Not any time soon. Stop reading so much into things!)

Caution, wet paint!
I taped up the room one evening, and the next day we tackled the trim. It was during this very tedious task that I came to the disappointing conclusion that not only am I not very good at painting, I also don't really enjoy it. Matt echoed my sentiments completely. It was dull, painstaking work. One little shudder and you have blue paint all over the white trim - blerg!

Fortunately, once Violet took her afternoon nap, we tackled the walls with rollers. Now that is a painting method I can get behind! Much more fun! Matt manned the ladder while I loaded up the roller with paint and handed it up. We were so efficient, we got the entire room covered in the span of one nap! And once Violet was in bed for the night, we slapped up the second coat (while jamming out to the soothing tunes of Delila at Night - I've now met my lifetime Eric Clapton quota). And we actually had a good time while doing it, an extra bonus. My husband and I make a good team. There was no booing or hissing, no weeping or gnashing of teeth, and the only criticism came when my hubby sweetly informed me I was sporting a bit of plumber's butt.

Finished!
It's amazing how different the color can look in natural light versus interior light, near the window versus the darkest corner of the room. Even these pictures don't seem exactly like what you get in person. But regardless, I am quite pleased with the choice. And more importantly, I'm thrilled that we actually got done what we set out to do this spring break.

(As a side note you may notice that the lamp looks like an old electric meter - that's because it is one!  That's right, kids.  Once upon a time not everything was digital.  Here's the back story - my grandfather worked for many years at Ohio Power.  When he retired, in addition the gold watch & full pension (weren't THOSE the days!), they deemed it necessary to give him his desk (which is still, by the way, in use holding the very computer Kristine posts all these blogs with) as well as an electric meter refashioned into a lamp.  So, when we turn the lamp on the meter rotates & tells us how much power we're using.  Does it make me geeky to think this is insanely cool??).

Now the only problem is... a new bedroom leaves me wanting new furniture and bedding! And hopefully before next spring break! Matt and I took Violet out on a marathon shopping trip, hitting the mall plus four or five other stores, but to no avail. We have possibly found a bed, and at least figured out what look we want for the bedding, but actual purchases are still some ways away. Ah well, a girl can dream...

A little slap-happy from too many paint fumes. (Just kidding, no children were harmed in the painting of this bedroom.)

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, guys! Painting isn't easy. And I have always loved that meter lamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color! Good job, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the patchwork pictures, as I did see some of these last weekend while we were there. Good choice of color!!! I am sure it is beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...