4.14.2011

Ay-ay-ay!

Or as I should have put it, eye-eye-eye. Violet and I will be staying home from school tomorrow because she has come down with (ba-dum-crshhh - that's the cymbal noise, duh) pink eye. I got the call after work today and while I tried to play it off like it was just her infected tear duct again, the pediatrician took one look and cheerily said "yep, looks like pink eye to me!" Which means no day care tomorrow, and therefore no work for me. Hello early weekend, it's so nice to meet you!

(The pediatrician, not our usual doc, also said there was no reason for Violet to still have clogged ducts and made me feel rather silly for not having the surgery done already, so I guess I'll be putting that on my to-do list here. And no, I don't mean to say that I felt pressured about it at all... it just confirmed what I've been slowly starting to realize.)

Staying home with Mommy? Aw yeah!

In other, random news, I put a new poll up on the blog. This one is unrelated to Violet or children in general, but I'm still rather interested in what you guys think. Personally, I'm the type of girl who rereads books. If I find a good one, not only am I oddly compelled to own a copy so I can display it on my shelf in a self-righteous manner (no Kindle for me! Paper all the way!), but I also will pick that same book up maybe a year, maybe a decade later and savor it all over again. But I know some people who never read a book twice. Which type are you?

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)Speaking of books, I finished One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original) about three days after I first blogged about it. SO. GOOD. If you don't remember, this book follows two characters through life, devoting each chapter to the same date, another year later. It took me exactly one chapter to get into the characters and voices, and then I was hooked. Sometimes British novels make me nervous because they seem to be trying so hard to sound all English and proper, dropping their slang and inside jokes. But this one didn't have that problem at all. At the end of each chapter I would eagerly turn the page to find out what happened next, forgetting that an entire year was about to flash by in the turn of a page. I'd start reading again, becoming instantly overjoyed or disappointed at where the characters had brought themselves over the year. And that's what makes good characters in my opinion - when they things they do make you so mad, or cause you to wish you could take them to a bar and laugh yourselves silly together. But as Reading Rainbow would say, "You don't have to take my word for it..."

And finally, my dear husband asked me the other day why I don't have more blog followers. I told him it's because you lurkers won't take the plunge and sign up. So if that's you (ahem, yes YOU) do me a solid and hit the follow button so Matt will actually believe that someone other than flesh and blood relatives read this thing. Sorry to beg. I feel weird asking and it's usually why I don't. But hey, the count has been stagnant for a while so I guess it doesn't hurt to drop an oh-so subtle hint hint. Alright, groveling over, back to your business folks. Nothing to see here!

1 comment:

  1. about blog followers... Many of my friends are very cautious about the internet and have had some strange experiences at times with unexpected pop up ads and messages over email. Maybe that is why some people are not signing up as followers. I look forward to your blog and the pictures. They give us a little peek at Violet and your lives, which is great!! Don't give up!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...