11.24.2010

To My Brother, on the Occasion of His Birthday

This post is dedicated to my brother Lukas, who turns the ripe old age of 28 today. Happy birthday, Lukas!

It's a wonderful thing to have a sibling you can also call a friend. Lukas and I are 22 months apart, so we've always been close. We've shared a bedroom as little kids, shared vehicles as we got older, shared friends in high school, shared adventures (and misadventures) when my parents were out of town. For a few years there he was "Kristine's little brother" but quickly I became known as "Lukas' older sister" and I'm just fine with that.

Lukas and I once staged a debate about which was better, creamy peanut butter or crunchy peanut butter. (I took the side of crunchy, although I've since reversed my position). It was very serious business, lasting a good couple days, if memory serves. I don't, however, remember who won. I'm pretty sure we both refused to concede, forcing a stalemate. We also staged many a rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" in our youth. Not sure why that song, but we sang with gusto.

Lukas is one of those people who doesn't just talk about going out and changing the world. He actually goes out and does it. He and his wife Danielle are missionaries in Chile, South America, where they minister to a crowd of students on a college campus in Santiago. I'm enormously proud of him, even if all his do-gooding makes me feel like a slacker sometimes.

Anyway, he's my brother, and I love him. Have a wonderful birthday, Lukas. See you guys soon!

(Lack of photo due to the fact that a) Lukas and Danielle live in Chile so no recent ones of us together have been taken, b) I've already posted all the ones from their last visit to meet Violet, and c) digital cameras weren't invented back in the good ol' days of our youth and I'm too lazy to scan anything. Must remember to remedy this at Christmas when they visit.)

(Of course, on second thought, I might as well just steal a few of his FB photos... you should at least see what the guy looks like!)

My dear brother and his lovely wife Danielle.
Seeing as I took this photo, I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to post. From my bowling birthday party extravaganza a couple years ago...

From their last visit stateside... (On a separate note, look how little Violet is! They are going to be shocked when they see her this Christmas!)

This photo sums Lukas up pretty nicely - music, smiling, good times, going places.

This one, on the other hand...

(All photos used without permission.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...