11.10.2010

There and Back Again

So I've told you about getting to Texas, and a bit about our time there. But now it's time to tell the story of our journey home. This was absolutely the part that had me most concerned (er, terrified). While Matt and I would be traveling together to our destination, I would be flying home alone. Plus Violet. Every fear that I had about getting to Texas was magnified ten-fold by the thought of doing it solo on the way back.

Here's the thing about traveling with a baby. You have to ask for help. It's impossible not to. There was no way I would be able to hoist the stroller onto the x-ray machine while holding Violet. So I asked the nice gentleman behind me, who graciously obliged. But I still hated having to ask. I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone who is probably already annoyed to be at the airport standing in the security line anyway. And now there's a crazy woman with bags and babies dripping off of her, asking for a hand. Ugh. He was nice, though.

Flight delayed. Attempting to convince our fellow passengers that we are not a threat.
 
After navigating security, I stopped to double-check the gate and departure time, only to see that dreaded word - delayed. Not even an updated time, just delayed. Awesome. We were only 30 minutes behind, but it was still 30 minutes for Violet to make an impression on our fellow passengers. I tried my best to make sure it was a good one, seeing as I forgot my "I don't want to sit next to you either" shirt. I put Violet on her blanket in the most remote corner I could find and plied her with food and cheerios. She thought it would be fun to see how far she could throw her pacifier across the terminal, but basically behaved.

Because our flight was late, we were rushed getting aboard and I didn't get the courtesy "traveling with small children" early boarding. Sheesh, what's the point of taking your kid if you can't get on the plane before the crush?! Then I had to find an airline worker to help me lock up the stroller. Then finally we got on the plane.

Who needs toys and snacks when you have the Hertz rental car brochure to play with?!

Thank the Lord (seriously, I thank Him) that I ended up with a row to myself! Well, I'm pretty sure Jesus had the seat next to me. Violet has no concept of personal space. And unlike our journey to Texas, she was wide awake for nine tenths of this trip. I stayed busy making sure she wasn't chucking the sippy cup at the people behind us or trying to grab the sleeves of the people in front. I was fully stocked with drinks, food, toys, the works - anything to keep her occupied. Naturally, the only thing she really wanted to play with was the Hertz rental car brochure from the seat pocket. We experienced another first when I had to change her diaper in the airplane bathroom (at least she's still small enough to fit on the changing table). Violet passed out about 20 minutes before we landed, but at least we made it with no meltdowns.

 Get me out of here!

But the best part of the trip came on the train between terminals at the Atlanta airport. Quick aside: navigating an airport with a stroller, looking for elevator access, etc, turned my home airport into a completely different place. Anyway, back to the train. I wheeled Violet on and followed the instructions to "hold on, the doors are ready to close". And here's where it gets cool. There were two men nearby. Without really looking at me or each other, they both casually stuck their feet out and each braced one of the stroller wheels so Violet wouldn't go sailing across the train when we took off. Then as the train slowed down, they shifted their feet so now they were bracing the stroller from being thrown backwards. All done without communicating, without being asked, without making a production out of it. People are nice. It was absolutely my favorite moment of the entire trip.

And then we were home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...