11.09.2010

Everything's Bigger in Texas

So we Loughman's took our first ever family vacation this weekend! I would have posted all my anxiety leading up to this trip, but I didn't want any blog stalkers breaking into my house while we were gone, so I kept it on the DL until we arrived home. Sorry! Needless to say, I had plenty of first-time mommy freak outs leading up to this.

I was worried about Violet's ears (what if an ear infection was a'brewing?) What if she screamed the whole way? How would we manage without all our baby equipment? Was it physically possible to get through the airport with luggage, a stroller, a car seat, a baby...? But namely, I didn't want to see the dirty looks from the other airplane passengers as I toted my child and all her belongings aboard.

 My friend Julie, who I queried for advice, brilliantly suggested that I wear a shirt reading "I don't want to sit next to you either". Several of my other friends had helpful hints as well, such as drugging the baby with some Benadryl pre-flight or simply not going. (Thanks folks.) There was some definite fear involved. But this trip was too good to pass up. Matt's portion was free, thanks to the fact that work was paying to fly him to the conference in Dallas. Our accommodations were taken care of because we'd be bunking with our dear friends Shelly and Jeremy. Besides, I'd like to be one of those parents that takes my kids everywhere. I was on a plane to Sweden at six months old. Plenty of other people can do it, and I didn't want fear to keep Violet from exploring the world. 

 Violet's first plane ride! Having a row to ourselves certainly made the flight a little smoother. On a side note, look at that belly! Good grief!

So we did it! Long story short, our flight there was excellent. Violet took a bottle on take-off and slept most of the way there. She woke up happy, just in time to play peek-a-boo with the woman sitting behind us. She even got her first set of "wings"! (I didn't realize airlines even gave out the wing pins anymore.)

And then we were finally back in Texas. The visit at the White house was lovely. Violet loved playing with Shelly and Jeremy's three girls. (She doesn't get much girl time around our neighborhood.) And of course, the girls loved her. Jeremy also seemed quite taken with Violet, and she let him have quite a few cuddles.

I love the way these friends just fit us into their lives as though we have always belonged there. Our visits are very natural. We tagged along to church on Sunday for a super fun family service where parents and kids just plop onto the floor and enjoy a kid-oriented show. We hot tubbed. We ate and cleaned up and let Violet romp around on the floor and watched tv and did all the normal weekend activities that we would have done here in Georgia, only we got to do them with some wonderful friends from afar. It's nice when you go back to visit a place you used to live, because there's not pressure to sight-see or really do anything in particular - you can just focus on catching up with each other. And as a bonus, you already know where the closest Starbucks is.

 Our first night in town, we walked to a little Mexican restaurant (duh, we're in Texas! Best Mexican food eva!) across the street from the White house. Violet's face cracks me up. If I ever saw a Title Me picture, this is it! Feel free to weigh in below.

 She crashed on the way home from the restaurant.
 
Violet also discovered dogs. At first she seemed a little freaked out, but her anxious cries quickly turned to shrieks of joy. And she was loud, perhaps the loudest I've ever heard her! Those long-suffering animals put up with her, though, even when she got a little grabby.

Violet and Jack Frost - BFF 4 Eva!
 
Another highlight of our visit was reuniting with some of my friends from back in the good old days. In particular, Amanda (hey girl!) who just had a baby of her own. The two kiddos got to meet and let me tell you, her son Miles is just perfect in every way. I can't wait to have a boy next if he can be as fun and full of personality as that Little Man.

 The old and new crew - Miles and Amanda, Violet and me. Miles is three months old... I canNOT believe Violet was ever that little! It is shocking how quickly babies grow.

 
Our hostess with the mostest - Shelly.
 
The only downside to the trip was the time change. First we changed time zones; then daylight savings struck. Our poor girl didn't have a clue what time it was supposed to be. One morning she was up at 4 (we ignored her, and to be fair, she seemed quite content just hanging out in her pack n' play) and then up again an hour later. Even once I got her home, she was still awake a full hour earlier than she normally is.

And speaking of getting home, our journey back (sans Matt) is a story unto itself. Stayed tuned!

2 comments:

  1. For Title Me: "Oh gosh. If I eat one more nacho, I'm gonna...zzzzzzz."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you said my son is so fun and full of personality, yet in the picture he looks stoned. Ya, were working on smiling for the camera!

    Great to see you! And I'm so glad your trip home went so smoothly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...