2.18.2011

Who's Awake?

It will come as little shock that a recent study has confirmed that women are more likely to give up sleep to care for their children than men are. Are we surprised?

Now, before you guys (or my husband, who might be the only male who actually reads this blog) get all defensive, another study might hold the answer as to why. I was reading the Motherlode blog the other day when I stumbled on this fascinating study. According to the research results, the number one sound most likely to wake a sleeping woman is - a baby's cry. (And this holds true regardless of whether she actually has children.) The blog post continues to list the sounds most likely to wake a man - a car alarm, the howling wind, a buzzing fly... But a baby's cry? That sound doesn't even crack the top ten noises that wake men up.

This is fascinating to me.

So perhaps we women spend more sleepless hours caring for children because we're the ones that wake up! Now, granted, my dear husband has been known to wake me up out of a sound sleep to announce that the baby is crying, only to roll back over and bliss out again while I haul myself up the stairs. (His exact words that fateful night were, I believe, "Honey (and he may or may not have used this endearment), you have GOT to wake up!") So it proves that this man of mine does wake up to the sounds of a baby's cry.

And to be completely fair, Matt has done his share of night duty. Just the other night, I woke up only as he was getting back in bed at 3 a.m., a restless Violet nestled on his shoulder. I hadn't even heard him get up, much less noticed that she was crying.

Violet's new sleep-style - the butt in the air face-plant.
But on the whole, I've probably spent more nighttime hours with Violet than Matt has. Breastfeeding skews the balance, for sure. And the fact that I have more patience, especially in the middle of the night. And before I went back to work, I also had a great deal more sympathy for the fact that Matt had to be up and performing in front of other people, while I merely had to be up and and functioning for our child (who doesn't care if I've showered/brushed my teeth/have bags under my eyes the size of couch cushions). But now that I'm a working mom, and my alarm clock goes off a good hour before his, and I spend all day on my feet dealing with 200+ children that don't belong to me, and I have my own needy child to come home to, I'm much more likely to let Matt get up and check on Violet without feeling guilty about it.

What about you, moms? Does this study ring true in your house?

5 comments:

  1. So we are all so careful to keep our babies on their backs for so long, just so they can sleep with their faces planted in the sheets later!!! I guess it all makes sense, but ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely true in this house! I usually wake Carl up when I am getting back in bed after soothing Noah. Although we are getting to the point where we only get up for him if he is sick. Otherwise we try to let him put himself back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Us men are kept up at night knowing we have to protect said baby and wife...oh, and I guess Matt isn't the only dude who reads this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When they are really tired, I have found my kids STILL sleeping in that position at ages 9 and 11. As far as getting up, I could be up with the kids 3 times in one night when they were babies Matt's brother would wake up in the morning and comment on how wonderful it was that they had slept through the night! I can't believe it's a year already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes; I am always the one who wakes up. In the beginning, I was always the one who got up, which was not only needed as I was breastfeeding but fair because Chris was working, and I was still on maternity leave. I am back to working 2 10.5 hour shifts a week now. I am still breastfeeding, but we are trying to keep him accustomed to not eating at night, so Chris will get up with him to calm him back to sleep. If I get up with him, he expects boob and will do the boobie dive on my chest and whine and cry until he gets them. It doesn't happen too often though. If he wakes up around 4am or later, I get up and nurse him on the futon in his room hoping that we can both fall back asleep before the alarm. I still feel very tired as I normally find stuff to keep me busy (pumping, washing dishes, folding clothes, making bottles for the days I work.... occasionally facebooking...) until around midnight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...