6.11.2012

Coasting Along

Now that I'm home from the beach, I'm feeling the need to be productive. And not just in the "I've got to clean up this house" way. I'm talking about producing - making something new. I was bumming around on Pinterest and I stumbled on these cute coasters and decided to try my hand at them. A trip to Home Depot coincided perfectly and I was able to pick up the supplies I needed. And now I present you with a quick and fun 2-and-a-half minute DIY project. (Original tutorial here.)

First up, gather supplies:
4 white tiles (I got mine at Home Depot for 16 cents each)
4 paint chips (again, Home Depot, free, already cut in these cute leaf/fish shapes)
Package of self-stick felt circles for the coasters' feet (2.97 for 75 - I can make a lot more coasters!)
Mod Podge
Sponge brush


The supplies
Step 1:
Brush the tile with mod podge.
Position the paint chip on the tile and brush more mod podge over the top.


Make sure to completely cover the paint chip. I used the wooden end of the brush to push down the edges of the paint chip that kept trying to peel up. Like the original tutorial suggested, I kept all the paint strokes going the same direction, since you'll be able to see the grain once it dries.

Painting done, now it's ready to dry.
Step 2:
Let it dry. It dries quickly, in just 20 minutes or so, but I left mine over lunch just to be on the safe side. Remember, it will dry clear, so you'll still be able to see the writing on the paint chip. But the paint names are rather fitting - "darkest grape," anyone?

Step 3:
Once dry, flip tile over and apply felt circles. These will serve as the feet and keep the coasters from scratching the table surface.

Felt "feet" applied.
Step 4:
Drink up!
Disclosure: wine glass is empty because I shot this at 10:30 a.m. and even I have standards.
Taking out the cost of the mod podge and sponge brush because I already had these supplies, the coasters only cost me 32 cents each and took roughly 2-and-a-half minutes to make (minus drying time). So fun and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...