1.29.2010

The Welcome Wagon Rolls Up

So yesterday was fairly mundane. I had an OB appointment and was appalled to find out I gained four pounds. This is not cool, people. I have four weeks to go and I'd really love not to keep up this rate. So instead of going to Starbucks like I had planned (I had a coupon, so hard to resist!) I ran errands instead. Once home again, I vacuumed. (See, I told you it was boring.) Well, there was some minor excitement caused by what I'm pretty sure was a chipmunk trapped inside our gutter drain pipe, but it's too horrible to imagine so let's not.

It grew dark. Matt had a work dinner, so I was hanging out alone, listening to the classical channel on my fancy new DirectTV when suddenly (dun dun duuuuuuunnnn) the doorbell rang. It was the first time I've heard it ring when I wasn't expecting anyone and I'm not gonna lie, I approached the door with caution. (Also, I've decided our doorbell sounds like a dying pelican.)

And what was on the other side of the door, you ask? There in a pool of porch light, with beaming faces upturned with smiles of welcome, stood... MY NEIGHBORS! That's right, I finally met the neighbors! And they brought brownies! It was beautiful, everything I hoped for since we moved in. I met the two moms who live on either side of me, and they brought along their kids (two boys each). After apologizing for not coming sooner (I love them already!), they were thrilled I'm having a girl and promptly offered to take me to the hospital should my water break when Matt's not around. In fact, if I need anything, I'm supposed to call. Their kids swiftly made themselves at home, including trying to make friends with the cat. Needless to say, she was her completely bitchy self. It was embarrassing actually. I couldn't even pick her up to lock her in the bedroom because she probably would have mauled me. Hopefully they weren't scarred for life.

But I'm just thrilled I finally met my neighbors. Everyone was so sweet and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. See, this is why I love my neighborhood. I knew it couldn't be bad when everyone kept waving at us! It was a quick, crazy visit, what with four little boys running around and my cat attempting to assassinate anyone within four feet of her (what is it about the cat that makes her irresistible to little kids, and Travis? Gluttons for punishment, all). And to top it off, once they left, I heard one of them pulling our trash can and recycling bin to the top of the driveway for me. How sweet was that? Hopefully now we can move on to the business of actually getting to know each other, borrowing a cup of sugar or an egg, picking up each others' mail, all those things neighbors do.

However, being new to this neighbor thing, I have a question. When I return the brownie container, should I make them some thank you cookies? Or will that just perpetuate a cycle of continuously baking things for each other? (Not that it's a bad thing. Except for those four pounds I packed on last week.) I realize it's been a long time since I had neighbors and I'm not quite sure what to do next... I kind of feel like I just got back from an awesome first date and I'm not sure how long to wait before calling again. And hopefully, should they ever read this, I don't come across as a needy, stalkerish girl!

Oh, and guess what? Both the neighbors hated their dying pelican doorbells as well. Good to know they are replaceable!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's sweet (pun intended) to return the dish with some sweets! :) Glad you love your neighbors - that is important!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...