1.14.2010

Moving On Up!

This morning I woke up to a beautiful sunrise over our new house.

We moved in yesterday. It was surprisingly smooth. See, we don't have the best history with moving. When Matt's company moved him to Texas, it took three weeks for his furniture to show up. When we moved to Midtown, we discovered a toilet sitting in the middle of our bedroom floor and the promised new carpet not yet installed, so we literally piled all our belongings into the kitchen until work was completed. When we moved to Lawrenceville, Matt ended up in the ER due to dehydration. Fun times.

So this time, we decided to do it right. We hired professionals. Atlanta Peach Movers are apparently the official movers of the Atlanta Braves. And if it's good enough for the Braves, it's good enough for us. It took four guys only three hours to get us out of our third floor apartment, drive to the house and unload everything into its rightful place. It was incredible to watch them pick up entire bookcases, sling them over a shoulder and haul them off without so much as gasping for breath. Totally worth the money, and I totally recommend them if you're planning a move yourself.

Here is Spooky checking out her new digs. She was NOT happy about four big guys in her house, but she eventually recovered and has since sniffed everything at least eight times. She's also reclaimed the kitchen table, a favorite perch of hers back in our Midtown days. I think she'll be pretty happy here.

Speaking of the cat, however, we gave our 60 day notice to the apartment complex yesterday. These two things are related, stay with me. Today I came back to the apartment to vacuum and was greeted by two pieces of paper. One was our move-out notice with a list of things we need to have done before we turn in the keys. The other was a notice of lease violation for an unauthorized pet in the apartment, giving us three days to pay the pet fee (and in my opinion, a substantial one at that, considering she's a six pound cat). Suspicious timing, don't you think? They must have known about Spooky for quite some time, since they haven't entered the apartment (that we know of) recently. And yet they hold onto this information until we tell them we're not renewing the lease. Mmm-hmm, I see how it is. Oh well, there's not much we can do about it.

Moving on. We ate our last official Lawrenceville meal at Bi-Ba's Italian Restaurant. Since the day we moved in, we've talked about eating our last meal there. It's in the shopping center across the street and I have no idea why we were so obsessed with it. Perhaps because the name cracked us up. Perhaps because it always looked slightly sketchy, one of those places you can't tell if they're open or not. But regardless, we made our vow a reality. And it was actually pretty good! I highly recommend the garlic rolls.

And speaking of carbs, I had an OB appointment today and only gained a pound or so since last time! WAY better than the four pounds I packed on courtesy of the holidays. The doctor (who I really liked, and who  said he always spotted patients whatever weight he himself put on over the holidays - what a gentlemanly thing to do!) called my pregnancy "perfect". Perfect with a capital P! Plus, Violet is already head-down like a good girl (here's hoping she stays that way). Here's me at 32 weeks (I'm 33 now):

And now for some random tidbits. Matt decided to shave his beard. Here he is, right before the big moment:

Then he totally chickened out and just trimmed it instead. Oh well. He is under strict instructions to have it shaved by labor day, but I really don't mind it until then. I don't really mind it in general, but it might be a little rough on Violet's skin. Oh, and here is my fabulous shoe rack that I bragged about in the last post:

Beautiful! Besides the nursery, it's pretty much the only thing that I've completely unpacked. Who knew I had so many shoes?! For years these poor babies have lived in shoe boxes stuffed in the closet and now finally they can come out for some air. For those of you who are wondering, I generously donated the top two and a half rows to Matt.

Finally,  lots of love and congratulations go out to my friend Aesook, who gave birth to her baby girl Zoe just a few days ago! Aesook and I met in grad school and both had the genius idea to get pregnant at the same time (well, she's was a few weeks ahead of me). She's been keeping me up to date on everything I can expect down the road, and I'm just thrilled that Zoe is finally here.

We have a jam-packed weekend coming up and once the house is internet-connected, you'll hear all about it. Oh, and Go Team Conan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...