1.29.2010

The Doorbell Rings Again!

So despite our doorbell sounding like the last squawks of a dying bird, I'm starting to like hearing it. Yesterday it heralded the introduction of my neighbors. Today is was the mailman, who thoughtfully dropped a package on the front step and was back in his truck, speeding away before I even had time to holler thanks.

And what was in the package, you ask?
 
This absolutely amazing, handmade quilt from Matt's Aunt Ruth Ann! I can't even explain to you how gorgeous it is. All pinks, whites and brown. Delicate and feminine. Simply pretty. And marvel of marvels, the backing fabric Aunt Ruthie picked matches one of the fabrics used in the crib bedding Lee Anne made! I have no idea if this was coordinated or not, but I'm amazed. Here's a closer look:
 
I love handmade things. I think they are so special because of the time and effort someone put into making it. As an amateur knitter, I know a little about time and effort. This will certainly be treasured for years to come. I'm continuously blown away by the kindness and generosity of so many people we are blessed to have in our lives. So many people love this little girl, and she's not even here yet! Violet might just be destined to become the next Martha Stewart, that's how crafty her genes are! Now, want to see what the quilt looks like in the nursery?! I thought so!
 
 
Ninety percent of what you see here has been lovingly handmade just for Violet. There's the bedskirt and a hint of the bumper my mom made, Lee Anne's quilt on the right, and over on the left, the pink crocheted blanket my sweet dental hygienist Cindy completely stunned me with at my teeth cleaning this week. One of these days I'm going to learn to knit more than a scarf so I can pay it forward...

1 comment:

  1. How sweet! I love handmade gifts as well...makes gifts so much more special :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...