1.25.2010

Pie Town!

So our really good friends Travis and Wendi came over to hang out at the house this weekend. And guess what they brought?
Pie! Do we have the greatest friends or what?! Looks like someone has been reading this blog and took pity on me. Who needs neighbors when you have friends like this! (Ahem...for the record, I still need neighbors. Just in case one of them discovers this site by chance.)

I still can't believe Wendi brought me a delicious apple pie!

 
Yum. Just like mom used to make. Warm and gooey in the middle (because I heated it up in my fancy convection oven that I don't really know how to use yet), golden brown and flaky on top.
Travis samples some of the goodness.


It was a delicious start to the weekend. Plus, we love Travis and Wendi, regardless of whether they come bearing pie. The rest of the weekend was filled with a house visit from the Loughman's, who brought Grandma to see the place. In honor of their visit, Matt went all handyman on me again and hung the curtains in the nursery, which were much admired. Then they took us out for an early birthday lunch (yeah yeah, it's almost my birthday, I'm getting old, blah blah). I'll be 29 on Sunday. Let's not talk about it.

Speaking of the nursery, it's almost completely finished. All the remains is to get the changing table and wash the sheets and we'll be good to go. And Violet's closet is coming along nicely as well, thanks to the wonderfully sweet Heather, who gave me a huge crate full of her daughter Lucy's outgrown clothes. Check it out:
I wasn't kidding. It took me the better part of a morning to go through everything. And Heather has fabulous taste. Violet is going to be one lucky, fashionable girl. I'll be changing her outfit three times a day just to make sure she gets to wear all this stuff.

So right now I'm sitting in the living room, watching some rather brave golfers go by on this deceptively sunny day. It looks like ghosts have taken over the porch swing, making it rock back and forth something fierce. The wind chime is doing its own merry twinkling dance. This is the kind of wind we used to get in Texas! It reminds me of  Winnie the Pooh:

Oh the wind is lashing lustily
And the trees are thrashing thrustily
And the leaves are rustling gustily
So it's rather safe to say
That it seems that it may turn out to be
It feels that it will undoubtedly
It looks like a rather blustery day, today
It sounds that it may turn out to be
Feels that it will undoubtedly
Looks like a rather blustery day today 
Sometimes I wonder if the ghosts have gotten tired of the porch swing and have decided to come inside. I hear the strangest noises in here. I think it's because I'm not used to the regular house sounds, plus the acoustics can make the cat jumping off the table in the sunroom sound like someone rustling around in the dining room. Then there was the morning I heard knocking. I checked the front door - nothing. Could it be one of my long lost neighbors tapping on a side window, freshly baked pie in hand? Nope. The cat and I walked through the entire house, trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, the knocking continued. Then finally I spotted them - blue jays, happily banging away on the wood trellis over the back deck. The bad news - there might be bugs. The good news - I'm not insane.

And finally, a word about our childbirth classes, which wrap up this week. Last time we talked about medical interventions, like c-sections. Supposedly the national c-section rate is around 1 in 4. However, the last four women I know to give birth have all done so via unplanned c-section. So now I'm starting to wonder... I'm not worried about having one. I mean, I was a c-section baby and look how fabulous I turned out. But being the planner I am, I'd just like to know. I need a vision in my head of how all this is going to go down, and I'm really not great with last minute changes to the plan. Not that there will be much I can do about it at the time. And really, I'm fine with a c-section, I promise. I'd just really like to know what's going to happen so I can visualize it in my mind. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...