1.04.2010

Crib? Check. Closet? Check. Magnetic fridge? Nope!

So here's what we've been up to...
Since I can't carry too many boxes, I busy myself unpacking them as Matt brings them in. Naturally, I had to make sure baby girl had her outfits ready to go. Look how stylish she's going to be! Look how tiny her clothes are! And already her football alliance has been made. That's my girl!

Next up, assembling the crib...
Real men read the directions.

Getting closer... (Matt has proven himself quite the handyman, by the way. Obviously he was just waiting for a house/baby to show off his mad skills.)

And it's done! Personally, I think the white crib looks fab and fresh against the apple green wall (props to the former owners for having excellent taste in nursery paint). The antique rocking chair courtesy of Matt's grandmother looks nice too. Look closely and you'll see Classic Pooh, Violet's first teddy bear (her first Christmas present, with love from Lukas and Danielle).

Now, just to prove there's more to this house than just a nursery...
New Year's Eve. No better way to usher in a new decade than unpacking some dishes and wine glasses. The heat hadn't really kicked on in the house yet, but we forged ahead.
My bearded man hanging out by the beverage station. Don't the wine glasses look fancy?! I've always wanted to hang them up like this. We're already taking bets on how many times we have to reorganize the drawers and cabinets before we figure out the best places to put everything.

Anyway, things were going along swimmingly until I made a stunning discovery. Our fancy new, slick stainless steel refrigerator... IS NOT MAGNETIC! I didn't even know such a thing was possible! Imagine my shock and dismay when I plopped the first magnet up there and it promptly fell to the floor. Seriously. Who makes a non-magnetic fridge? It's almost as bad as non-alcoholic wine. I mean, why bother? Of course, it will keep said fridge from getting cluttered up and ruining the nice, clean aesthetic of our new fancy kitchen. But it certainly was disconcerting. Never one to be foiled, however, I managed to find a tiny slice to put a few choice magnets.
This was just one of the amusing things that happened upon our new appointed ownership of this house. Other fun events: not being able to figure out how to turn off the exterior floodlight (we must have flicked every switch before we located it. I'm sure the neighbors thought we were nuts.) And discovering, by accident, that the kitchen lights are on dimmers. (At first we thought we just had major electrical problems. Let me also point out that this occurred on our first visit after officially closing and we were left wondering if we'd been totally suckered into buying this place. We were totally bummed by the disintegrating lighting until the happy revelation that we're really just idiots.)

So that's the house! The parade of friends and family (who will all be forced to carry at least one box over the threshold) are quickly lining up their inaugural visits. In the meantime, my doctor called my weight gain at my last appointment "okay". Not good or great like previous visits. It was like getting a B on a test. And those of you who know me well know what a blow that was. So as soon as I polish off Pam Lower's Paula Deen Pound Cake, the sweets are out of here!
31 weeks down!

3 comments:

  1. you and your house look AMAZING! (i just plain looked LIKE a house at 31 weeks). a refrigerator that isn't magnetic makes me doubt its ability to even keep food cold. poor violet in those awful red clothes though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, and here I was counting on our kids being best friends. I'll have to teach her not to judge people by the color of their football jerseys. Weird about the fridge, huh? Since my revelation, more people have confessed to me that theirs is the same... at least we're not the only ones with an incompetent fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in that first picture of the closet, the little plaid dress that is folded up was made by the company I used to work for. Sara Lynn Toggs right? Yep, I helped design that! And probably could have gotten you one of those for a dollar at the sample sale...if I had known you were pregnant before I quit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...