10.15.2010

Fall, and Falling Behind

We are kicking off this weekend with a bang! One of Violet's bestest pals, Emily, is here to babysit while Matt and I head to the Richard Thompson concert at the Variety Playhouse to celebrate my hubby's early birthday.

The rest of the weekend should prove just as fun, as we have a visit from Grandma and Grandpa to look forward to on Saturday, and then we're off to Travis and Wendi's for some football watching on Sunday. (The only way Wendi and I get to hang out is if the boys are glued to the television so they can criticize their fantasy football players and trash talk each other to their hearts' content. Ah, football season.)

Our Punkin's first time in a restaurant high chair last night. Yeah, she rocked it! Although I should have brought some toys to keep her entertained while we ate. She settled for chewing on some Chick-fil-a sauce packets.

This week has had some ups and downs. When I picked Violet up from daycare on Wednesday, I got to see one of her classmates, of the same age, wave bye-bye and creep/crawl across the floor. Can my child do either of these things? Not even close. I was starting to freak out a little. All the other little girls were rolling around, playing happily by themselves. And what was Violet doing? Laying spread eagle on the floor, mad that no one was paying the appropriate amount of attention to her, refusing to be distracted by the toys being dangled over her. It was sad, actually. Then the show-off just sealed the deal. I know I've talked about milestones before, and how I'm trying not to worry if Violet doesn't progress at what I believe to be an appropriately advanced rate. But it's hard when there are a room full of babies to compare her to side-by-side.

And I don't even blame Violet. Now I'm starting to worry that she's not progressing because I'm not doing something right. She reflects on me, and I'm apparently a crappy mom! (Talk about mind games!) I don't give her enough tummy time, or I carry her around too much, or I don't provide enough motivation. 

Fortunately, yesterday I picked her up and got the report that she had a great day (and it was a different baby who caused all the fuss), so that made me feel a little better. We've had lots of tummy time and she's moving her legs and pushing her little butt up and reaching for toys just out of grasp. (Matt think her overly round belly is keeping her from creeping along... she just rolls and wobbles on it.) And I'm sure one of these days she'll have it all figured out and I'll be fondly wishing for the days when she wasn't so mobile. I don't know... I'm wondering if I'll forever worry about how my kiddo measures up with everyone else. Maybe that just a parenting thing.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing. It's hard not to feel positive when the weather is a perfect mid-70's, the sun is shining, the leaves are starting to turn and there is a weekend ahead to enjoy. I hope ya'll do the same!

3 comments:

  1. How about D) 3.5 years apart! The only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comparison to other babies thing is only the start. Practice a big smile and congratulations to the other moms, because it continues!!!(I am fondly remembering a few parent teacher conferences, some of which I have shared and a few I have kept private just because) She is perfect!!! and will make you proud in many ways. I know this is true, Love you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine, I know this is easier said than done, but don't worry! All kids are different and do things intheir own time. Even my two are worlds different and they were raised int he same house, by the smaw parents! My son is a sleeper. He can fall asleep anytime and anywhere. As soon as he is horizontal, he is conked out. My daughter stays up until all hours of the night, still doens't sleep through the night (a 5 YEARS, not months), and rarely needs 8 hours. However, Katie is my eater. She eats just about anything I put in front of her. She will clean her plate and doesn't have to be told to do it! Tyler picks. Everything is a negotiation for eating. How many bites do I have to eat becfore I can have dessert. Tyler struggles in school and I am pretty sure that Katie is a natural brainiac! Tyler likes to cuddle, Katie likes to run around like a Tasmanian Devil! Anyway, you get the picture!

    Both times I was working. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Think about how much Violet is learning from you...how to balance a home, a carreer, and be a mom and wife (oh, and let's not forget school)! That is not to slam any SAHMoms out there. My mom was one and it was great! But this is a different time and unfortunately that means that we have to balance a few more things. I try to take the time in the car to talk about their day, see what is going on, and then talk with them about waht we have to do at home so they can metally plan what they have to do too. It takes the struggle out of telling them repeadly about their chores. Last night I told them on the way home that we had to empty the dishwasher, take out the trash, cook and eat dinner, clean up their rooms, finish HW, and THEN we would carve a pumpkin. We discussed in what order they would do all of that so they could maximize their pympkin carving FUN time! Also, an added benefit...on my way to take Katie to school, we see the sumrise every morning. EVERY morning! We get to say good morning together, talk about how beautiful the sunrise is and just enjoy a few quiet moments toghether as mommy and daughter.

    Ok, I know this went way further than a quick little post. My point is, it is all about making memories! By you taking Violet to neighbors for dinner, going on Hayrides, and just experiencing the world, she will have memories! So stop comparing her with other children and enjoy the time you have with her because she is PERFECT just the way she is!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...