4.22.2013

Bits and Pieces

So here are a few tidbits that don't warrant their own post, but nonetheless I feel like sharing.

I felt the baby kick for the first time today. I happened to be eating potato chips at the time. Coincidence?

I told my students I was pregnant on Friday. I announced it via a spelling test. We always have dictation sentences they have to write on each spelling test, and on last week's, the sentence was "My... teacher... is... going... to... have... a..." And at this point I heard the whispers start up. When I finished with "...baby" all the boys wrote the word and the girls all looked up with "really?!!" It was cute. They were very excited and all wanted to know if it was a boy or girl.

And speaking of gender, yes we are finding out. I'm surprised how many people have asked that question. With the first baby, every assumed we'd find out, no big deal. But I guess the cool new trend is to keep it a mystery. Even my doctor got in on it - "It's so much fun to find out in the delivery room!" But according to my very unscientific poll, teachers will always want to find out the gender in advance. I guess it's the type A planner personalities the profession attracts.

I went to a baby shower this weekend and oh my how it all rushed back. The never-ending diaper changes. Outfit changes. Endless pumping parts/bottle parts/pacifiers cluttering up the kitchen. Lugging a diaper bag around. Lugging a infant carrier around. Mercy. For all Violet's whines and tantrums, at least she is fairly self-sufficient. Once she figures out how to turn the tv on herself, she pretty much won't even need us anymore! But babies... oh baby.

My allergies are still killing me softly. I don't know if I'm allergic to the pollen, the cat, our house, or just being pregnant. Perhaps all of the above. But I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over a week. If I'm lucky I can manage to find the one position in bed that lets me breath. If I'm not so fortunate, I'm pacing through the dark house at all hours, desperately trying to clear my sinuses. Awesome.

There are only five weeks of school left! I'm simultaneously thrilled and freaking out. There's an awful lot to get done these last 25 days. And so many of them are already spoken for: field trip, field day, end of year celebration... yikes! Here's hoping spring fever doesn't set in too early.

Well, that's it for now. There's a certain little girl who needs pajamas and a bedtime story. And Violet needs to go to bed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...