4.25.2012

What I'm Reading

Just Finished


My book club made a landmark decision this month - for the first time in our five-year history, we are reading a book with no movie adaptation. We'll actually be forced to (gulp!) discuss what we've read at this month's meeting! At least we picked a fascinating read. Amazon says: Blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that seem to be made in an instant-in the blink of an eye-that actually aren't as simple as they seem. Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? How do our brains really work-in the office, in the classroom, in the kitchen, and in the bedroom? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others?

Currently


Continuing my New Year's Resolution to read and watch all the Harry Potter books (and celebrating the fact that they're finally available on my Kindle), I'm currently on the fourth in the series. There is a notable difference that takes place in book four. The writing becomes more sophisticated, as though the author acknowledges that her audience is growing up. The story, too, shifts into darker territory, ramping up towards the inevitable finale. In a way, book four is where it truly begins. The first three just laid the groundwork.

Up Next


My other book club chose Loving Frank for our next book. It blends fact and fiction to weave the tale of the love affair between architect Frank Lloyd Wright Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It's a book I've always meant to read, based on the reviews it got when first published, I just never got around to it. Now that Matt and I are planning a trip to Chicago, it seems especially timely, given the architect's influence in the Windy City.

That's what I'm reading. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...