12.18.2011

Christmas Cookies, Ole!

It's finally starting to feel more like Christmas around here! I know, right. Good thing I got in the holiday spirit before it was too late! But with the rush of grades to take and school parties to host and shopping to do and life to live... well, you've heard this rant from me before so I won't rehash it.

On with the cheer! Matt and I finally got around to busting out the holiday cookie recipes this weekend! I have to give my husband the credit as he's the one who really spearheaded this project. And good thing too, because these cookies are yum.

First we made a batch of Mexican Wedding Cookies. These I have made before, and they are a favorite of my neighbors. Dense, sugary, delicious. Just don't inhale right before biting into one or you might end up choking on a cloud of powdered sugar.


Want to give them a try? It's super easy. Here's what you need:

1/2 pound of unsalted room-temperature butter (that's two sticks, ya'll... try not to think about it, they're worth it)
1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus 1 cup for dusting
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coarsely chopped pecan pieces
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat to 350. Beat the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla, salt and pecans and beat until combined. Mix in flour with a wooden spoon. Don't overmix. (I always hate it when cookbooks say that... how do I know when it's overmixed?)

Form the dough into crescent shapes and place on greased baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Now the fun part. Put the rest of the powdered sugar in a bowl. When the cookies are cool enough to handle, drop a few at a time into the sugar and shake to coat those babies in powdered goodness. Carefully remove (I scoop them out with a fork) and place on cooling racks, then go back over them all again with another healthy sifting of powdered sugar. Oh yeah.


Recipe via The Tex-Mex Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. Love the comment on not thinking about the amount of butter in the cookies, and the advice to not inhale before tasting. Both are so on target that it made me laugh.
    Don't forget to bring us a few of the ginger cookies. I remember them from last year and they are great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...