8.21.2012

Making Peanut Butter

 Matt and I are not overly crunchy-organic-composting-granola hipsters. Sure, I want to eat healthy. And if there is an organic option available for a comparable price, I'd consider. I'm trying to be more aware of what I eat. But I'm also a realistic busy working mom. So I'm not beating myself up over some of the food choices we make. After all, easy mac is just so... easy. But I have noticed that there are so many added ingredients to things, ingredients that I can't pronounce and have no idea what they do. So when I can identify everything on the label, I'm more inclined to buy.

Ingredients.


Recently Matt decided to make our own peanut butter as a daddy-daughter-date night activity. And while I gave him plenty of bonus points for creativity, I also left the house in an extra hurry that night! Cooking with Violet tends to be a frustrating mess. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. We eat a ridiculous quantity of PB and it seemed fairy easy to try at home, so why not? Surprisingly, the results tasted great, and even the texture (usually my sticking point) wasn't bad. We blew through the first batch and have a second round chilling in the refrigerator as I speak. Violet loves PB on toast in the morning (and it's certainly better for her than fruity loops).

A partner in crime.
 You'd have to check with Matt for the exact ingredients and recipe, but apparently all you need is 16 ounces of unsalted dry roasted peanuts, a bit of salt, a few squeezes of honey, and some oil to bind it all together in the food processor. Easy!

Adding a pinch of salt.

Starting the grind.

Official taste test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...