8.09.2012

Another Day in First

School started again today.

I don't remember much of my first day last year, my first official day as a teacher. I remember the night before, my neighbor met me in the backyard, grabbed both my hands in her own, and prayed a blessing over me that had me in tears. The actual day itself, however, passed in a blur.

I woke up this morning without the nerves and butterflies I was expecting. Perhaps I'm an old hand at this already. Thanks to a last minute hire (can you imagine being hired to teach the day before the kids show up? Um, no.), everyone's schedule changed and I was greeting with the news this morning that I would have no specials today. That means no break from the kids. The only break we get to use the bathroom or call parents to verify transportation issues or, you know, breath.

And then it rained and recess got cancelled. Naturally.

And then the buses were delayed due to said rainstorm and the kids rolled out an hour later than usual.

So needless to say it was a long day. But a good day. And I'm hopeful this will be a good year. Which is needed, considering our entire curriculum has changed and we're having to figure things out as we go along. (Or maybe that's just me.) At least I know my stellar team will muddle through it together.

I'm trying not to get overly stressed out, despite the feeling that I'm already behind. How can you be behind when it's only been one day?

Matt has single-handedly been getting our family through this week. He has dropped Violet off at school, changed his schedule to pick her up (since I've been at work past six far too many evenings - let me take this time to point out yet again that teachers are not paid enough), put up with fast food dinners far too many times, basically managed our lives. Hopefully I can pick up the juggling act again one of these days.

Yet another fast food kids' meal toy. My poor child.

We're back in school, kids. Hang on for the ride!


1 comment:

  1. No specials, no recess, and buses delayed an HOUR? OMG the only thing that would have made this day better was for admin to have thrown in a fire drill! The days will get better. Somehow it can be managed, and bless your hubby for balancing your little family out. Have a great rest of the school year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...