1.31.2016

35

#tbt to that time I was born... 
So I turned 35 today. It was a good day. A good weekend, in fact. My dad called from Paris to wish me happy birthday. My brother sent flowers. My mom texted the above picture. Also, let's pause for a moment to marvel at the awesomeness that is the above, and the completely shellshocked look on my dad's face. I imagine that's how most first-time dads feel. Moms seem to handle it better; the nine-plus months gestating seems to give them a leg up. He recovered well, though.

Beautiful flowers, mildly insulting card digging at my middle-aged-ness.
On Saturday at book club I was surprised with a dozen homemade cupcakes, gifted by my dear friend (and fabulous baker) Shannon. They were delish. I may have eaten two. But to be fair, I had to sample the lemon and the strawberry. Then that evening a group of girls from the neighborhood (there are six of us with January/February birthdays) went to the Melting Pot. It ended up being a complete fiasco in every way, but the company was good and the chocolate fondue at the end covered a multitude of sins.

My cupcakes!
In between book club and dinner, I came home to find a string, inspired by Disney's Frozen Fever, duh. For those of you who haven't watched it 483 times like we have, here is a synopsis. It's Anna's birthday, and Queen Elsa has set up a treasure hunt of sorts. Anna has to follow the string as it leads her to all her presents. Hmm... maybe you have to see it to understand:


Anyway, I followed the string through the house, upstairs and down, all the way to my gallery wall, where my present was hanging. Matt got me a photograph print, taken and signed by Ben Folds (the musical god himself) featuring the sheet music of my favorite Ben Folds song.


Fun fact: the first time I heard this song was in the car as Matt drove us to what ended up being a surprise trip to San Antonio so he could propose. I cried. When I heard the song. When he proposed, I was too gobsmacked to do much of anything except say yes. Here, just take a listen. I dare you to keep a dry eye.


Anyway, the rest of the weekend has been spent just hanging out with these noodleheads, doing our quiet family stuff like making pizza, riding bikes, hanging out. It's been a lovely way to usher in the second half of this fine decade of mine. I really am the luckiest.


The Luckiest

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns
The stumbles and falls brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday

And I know that I am
I am, I am the luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on the street where you live?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a wide sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize

And I know that I am
I am, I am the luckiest

I love you more than I have
Ever found a way to say to you

Next door, there's an old man who lived to his 90's
And one day, passed away in his sleep
And his wife, she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way
To tell you that I know we belong

That I know that I am
I am, I am the luckiest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...