12.22.2010

Tradition

Starting a new family also means we get to start some of our own holiday traditions... I'm still trying to work our what ours will be. I know a tradition is made over many years (after all, tradition is defined as something passed down from generation to generation, a continuing pattern, etc) and I shouldn't worry about inventing the wheel in one day here, but it's exciting to think about starting something that will be continuing when Violet is old enough to understand Christmas and she can look forward to certain things always happening.

So in that line of thinking, what are some of your family's favorite holiday traditions?

I thought we'd be starting the Christmas custom of trekking to the tree farm and sipping hot cocoa as we merrily bickered over which tree to chop down and haul home for decorating. Alas, my type of Christmas tree (Fraser Fir) doesn't grow here in Georgia. So we started the new tradition of driving a few blocks across town to our local Lowes to pick one out. (Mild bickering still ensued.) So much for that idea. But I grew up with real, live trees, and Fraser Firs at that, so I guess I'm still carrying on that tradition.

Funny how things get stuck in our heads... it just wouldn't be Christmas with a fake tree (although I know many people who sport perfectly lovely fake trees). The year my mom misguidedly decided to go fake, my brother and I revolted in horror and insisted Christmas would be ruined if she didn't return it immediately to the store and do penance at the local Lowes. (She admits it was her dumbest idea to date.)

Now that I have a child of my own, I need to decide about the whole Santa thing. Here's the deal: I never believed in Santa. I don't know if my parents just didn't encourage the fantasy or I was too practical of a child to really believe there was a jolly old guy who managed to hit every chimney in the world in a few short hours. But part of me wishes I had believed, so I'm bound and determined to make sure Violet does. So here's the question: should "Santa" wrap the presents? Should there be special Santa paper that only he wraps in? Should the presents just be displayed in all their glory under the tree come Christmas morn? At my neighbor's house, Santa leaves three unwrapped gifts. At other homes, he leaves one giant present. Still other people have wrapped presents from jolly old St. Nick. So many options! What does Santa do at your house?

And don't even get me started with the whole Elf on the stinkin' shelf! I had no intentions of starting this tradition until I realized every single kid at my elementary school has an Elf at home, and most teachers have them in the classrooms. Violet can't be the only one without! But while some elves are content to just move from place to place each night, others are mischievous. The Elf next door has been known to make hot chocolate in the middle of the night, toilet paper the boys' rooms and swing from the chandelier. Good grief!

So I ask again, what are some of your favorite traditions for this time of year? Do you get a new ornament every year, or perhaps a special pair of PJs on Christmas Eve? Is there a favorite food you look forward to, something that only appears this time of year? Do you look forward to the Christmas Eve candlelight service or a live Nativity display? Perhaps you enjoy driving around your neighborhood gazing at (and criticizing) the decorations. I'm eager to find out what customs you take part in!

3 comments:

  1. Leaving cookies and milk for Santa, making my egg casserole for Christmas morning, opening gifts one at a time to appreciate each and every gift, eggnog, spending time with each member of the family who is home, and of course, celebrating praise and thanks, each in our own way, for all we are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We leave Santa presents unwrapped. Santa just leaves a few things. The rest is from us (I guess we want credit ;). Usually Santa leaves the big present.

    the one thing we learned after the first year was that presents needed to be ready to go. By that I mean they needed to be out of the boxes. If things needed to be charged, then do it ahead of time. This does take a little planning in advance, but it does save broken little hearts!

    We received this gift several years ago. At the time we didn't think too much of it. BUT, over the years we have come to LOVE it and recommend to all parents getting one. You know all those dang twist ties that strap all presents into their boxes? this slices right through them! Highly recommedn you get them. If too late this year, then look for them and get them by Violet's birthday. Your fingers will thank me! Marilyn

    http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/SZ360.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi and I would always have at least one gift from Santa on Christmas day. There wouldn't be any special wrapping though. We went to our grandparents' house for Christmas so everything would be under the tree when we got there around 10am. We always unwrapped gifts after eating around 1pm. Our uncle usually played "Santa", giving out each gift and we'd all unwrap as we received the gifts. There was no waiting in this family!
    I'm sure you saw that I bought gifts for Clark's Christmas Kids this year. Clark Howard just finished the 20th year of Clark's Christmas Kids charity. Many people call his show on WSB and say that they had started a tradition of taking their child(ren) with them to the Walmart where Clark would be that day and the child(ren) were allowed to choose whichever list they wanted and buy however many gifts they wanted to buy. The best part is that most of these kids save their own money in order to buy the gifts. I have the idea that they only buy 1 toy and the parent probably pays the rest, but I think that is a wonderful tradition of sharing and teaching.

    Merry Christmas!!!!!

    Love,

    Marla

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...