6.06.2010

Happy Conception Day!

Exactly one year ago today, my good friends Shelly and Jeremy got married.


Congrats, kids! We loved being a part of your beautiful day. Even if you did force me to confront my fear about all things squirmy and physically wrangle these butterflies for the big release during the magical kiss. I'm proud to say, 14 out of 15 butterflies survived. But more importantly...


Exactly one year ago today, little Miss Violet ceased being merely a twinkle in God's eye and became a new life.


Look at us, so young and carefree, no idea how our lives are about to change... I'm happy to say, it's all working out pretty well so far. And since you probably don't need anymore details about Violet's conception day, how about the butterfly story?

So there I was, crouched on the floor of the hotel bathroom in my wedding finery, ready to prep these butterflies that Shelly had brilliantly decided she just had to have during the ceremony. The previous night had been spent in wide-eyed apprehension as I was charged with keeping the butterflies, asleep in their tiny boxes, cold enough to stay alive but still. There were frozen ice packs packing the box as it sat on its very own chair in front of the blasting air conditioner. Meanwhile, Matt and I huddled together for warmth under the insufficient covers. Now it was time to open the triangular boxes and see how many had survived.

The instructions for moving the butterflies were clear and terrifying. I had to find an enclosed room, so in case one of them escaped, it could be recaptured. My only option was the bathroom; the 15 foot ceilings were going to present a problem. With trembling hands, I picked up the first box. A skin-crawling scrabble of wings and legs could be heard inside. The butterflies were awake! I was going to have to move fast to open the package, free the insect and dump it into the larger box the girls would be carrying. Quick like ninja, I popped the seal. The instructions directed me to pick up the butterfly by pinching the wings together. Gack! But bravely, the vomit barely held at bay, I did. I dropped it into the box and screamed for Matt to shut the lid. Success! One down, 14 to go. But now with one butterfly flapping away in there, how to add the remaining ones without the first escaping?

It was horrible. The little box was shaking and vibrating its way across the bathroom counter as the butterflies (Lord knows what they were doing in there, killing each other?) flapped about. Finally the transfer was complete and I only had to keep the suckers alive until Shelly and Jeremy's daughters could release them. First I prepped the girls. If the butterflies were "sleeping" that was okay. They weren't to get upset, just leave them be. (Please let the butterflies stay alive!) Seconds before Shelly hit the aisle, I placed the boxes in the grass (the buggers couldn't handle direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes lest they get overheated and melt or whatever). I was on pins and needles the entire ceremony, praying for flight. I think I was more nervous than the bride and groom! Then finally, the big moment, the kiss, the boxes opened, and... release! They made it! The butterflies took to the sky and then hung out with us for the entire reception. It was lovely. And Shelly, you're welcome. Please don't EVER ask me to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...