8.14.2011

School Daze

As I write this, I can barely keep my eyes open. I feel more exhausted (mentally, physically, emotionally) than I ever remember feeling even in those first few newborn weeks of 3 a.m. feedings. But, folks, I have survived my first week of school! Sure, it was only two days, but still, I made it! I got all my kids to lunch on time and home on the right bus, so I'm calling it a win.

The night before the big day, I was a nervous wreck, I don't mind admitting it. I have major fear of the unknown. I had already come inches away from bursting into tears multiple times throughout our preplanning motivational speaker (he was really motivating, what can I say?) and driving home, I just had to admit to God that I already knew there was no way I could make it through this year on my own and I gave Him the entire year, put it straight into His hands. Then my sweet neighbor Kim met me in the backyard after dark and prayed a blessing over me. And so clothed in grace and my new back-to-school outfit, I took on my first day as a teacher.

Dawn breaks over the school on my first day as a teacher.

And you know what? Once the kids started streaming through the door, everything kicked into gear. The day passed by in a blur, and before I knew it the kids were on the bus and I was left wondering what just happened. There were definitely things I was disappointed about, things I wanted to do better, problems I hadn't anticipated. Like, why did every kid need to go to the bathroom 12 times? It seemed like the moment one child asked to go, suddenly everyone else decided it sounded like a good idea and they wanted in, too. And we took multiple bathroom breaks a day, folks. It's not like we hadn't  stopped by three times already! Fortunately, I am surrounded by good people, and one of my colleagues (the teacher whose room I inherited, actually) gave me a solution that worked like a charm the next day. And my sweet first grade team checked in with me constantly to make sure I was still alive, asking if I needed anything. I could not ask for better support.

And Friday turned out to be even better than Thursday. I got more done. I felt more on top of things. I knew who to keep an eye on and what to anticipate from my 23 students. I'm hoping each day gets even better, easier, more fulfilling. It's funny, reading all the new teacher literature that people have put into my hands, it seems like first year teachers are always shiny with hope and optimism and enthusiasm. I don't feel shiny (unless it's from the sheen of nervous sweat coating my forehead). I'm just trying to keep my head above water. It reminds me of the times people would tell me to "enjoy every minute" of those sleepless, anxiety-filled newborn days. I wasn't enjoying them - I was merely surviving them. Still, I know I'll look back at these first weeks of teaching and chuckle at how crazy and overwhelmed I felt. At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen!

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and let you know that I survived. So many of you have sent your sweet encouragements and they are so appreciated. We're all still adjusting to our new lives (Violet ran a fever this weekend after just two weeks in daycare, my brain wakes me up at 5 a.m. and won't turn off, Matt is probably wondering what happened to his wife and why was she replaced by this scatter-brained crazy woman) but we are getting there together.

And now, allow me to take you on a quick tour of my classroom! Enjoy (while I go pass out in bed at the deliriously late hour of 9:30 p.m.)

Pretty much what I walked into the first day (I put up the first bulletin board before I remembered to take the "before" picture).
After Matt took two days off work and put up my boards, alphabet, word wall, and arranged the desks. He loves me! He really loves me!
Our specials schedule.
Calendar!
Mrs. Loughman's classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing your classroom and I know this will be a really long and busy week. Miss Violet already just thinking about it, but.....so glad you have a great support system of teachers around you and a great school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...