8.19.2011

An Extra Hour

On Monday, Matt noticed Violet had some weird red splotches on her chest and back. On Tuesday, daycare noticed it. So finally on Wednesday, I conceded that perhaps I should get Violet checked out just in case it turned out to be something serious. I know, mom of the year, right? Well, I've been a little preoccupied with my new job. Maybe I've told you about it? (And by preoccupied, I mean that my sign-in sheet for Tuesday read 7:20 a.m. - 7 p.m. Good times.)

Finally on Wednesday, I decided to make Violet a doctor's appointment to get the splotches looked at. I even called daycare in the middle of the day to get confirmation that yes, the rash was still there. Fair enough, I made the latest appointment I could get, threw everything in my bag to take home, abandoned my team in the middle of our collaborative planning session, raced to daycare, swooped in to pick Violet up and...

No rash.

In the words of Charlie Brown, ARGH! So Violet and I just went home instead. All the way in the car I was seething, worrying about the planning time I was missing, worrying about all the undone things at school, worrying about getting it all done in the mere 30 minutes I get in the morning before the kids come tramping in.

But then, I realized that Rashgate 2011 was a little gift to be savored, like a surprisingly sunny day in the midst of a bitter winter. Violet and I played outside, shared a snack, hung out like the good old days before this thing called first grade took over my life. I forced work out of my mind and focused fully on my sweet little girl, who is getting so big and tall I scarcely know who she is some days. We laughed, we played, and I didn't think about work again until she was tucked upstairs in bed. I think we both needed those stolen hours to reconnect. Normally I don't leave school until five, and by then we only have three hours together before Violet is passed out asleep. Three measly hours is not enough time with my sweet baby girl. I miss her. I don't think I've been able to truly relax and enjoy her (or life in general) since school started. Most of my waking moments are spent thinking about school, and it is exhausting, carrying that burden. I'm hoping it gets easier (although every day I seem to find something that makes it heavier). But I am so thankful for the rash-that-wasn't and the extra time it gave me with sweet Violet this week.

Happy Friday!

Violet, waiting for a spoonful of ice cream to get just a little.bit.closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...