11.30.2009

Post-Thanksgiving Wrap-Up, Plus Some Nursery Ideas

So it's been a while... I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We spent it with my parents and Matt's parents. Finally after nine years of togetherness, we've finally managed to convince our families that it makes more sense to share Thanksgiving. That way we only have to eat one turkey meal instead of stuffing ourselves twice! So they have obliged and this was our second annual Fortunato-Loughman gathering. It was nice. Much thanks was given. Much food was eaten. (Check out that belly, huh?! Now if that doesn't impress, I don't know what will.)

But now that Thanksgiving is done, we can move on to more important things - Christmas! (Poor Thanksgiving... ever feel like it just gets forgotten, sandwiched in between the more fun holidays of Halloween and Christmas? I mean, they were playing Christmas music on the radio before the turkey was even in the oven!) Did anyone heed the siren's call of 5 a.m. doorbusters on Black Friday? I've been in the past. But truthfully, I always buy more for myself on that day than I do for anyone else. And since Matt and I are in serious money saving mode, shopping for myself just hasn't had the same allure it normally does. I'm a coupon clipping queen these days, not a self-spender. So I opted to stay home, snug in bed, and hit up Amazon for some good deals plus free shipping. (Gotta have the free shipping or what's the point?)

And while I'm at it, let me pause for a moment and pay homage to the Amazon Wish List. Do you have one? Because you should. When it comes to Christmas presents, I'm a firm believer in getting people what they want. That way you're happy and I'm happy (plus I don't have to wrack my brain trying to think of the perfect gift for you). Otherwise I'm just buying you something for the sake of having a present to give, hoping you like it and we that haven't both just wasted our time and money. Anyway, back to the Amazon wish list. First off, Amazon sells everything. Secondly, even if they don't, they have the Universal Wish List button that allows you to add anything from any other site to your list. And finally, Amazon read my mind and added the "buying it somewhere else?" button. So if you see something on a person's list, but you know you can get a better deal at your local Wal-mart, you just tell Amazon that you're buying it elsewhere and they go ahead and remove it from the wish list, eliminating the dread that someone else will also buy it and the poor receiver will get two of the same thing. So smart. Thanks, Amazon!

So while I didn't score on Black Friday, the following day the grandmas and I went to Joann's Fabric to see about finally getting some nursery decorating ideas. I have scoured the internet looking for crib bedding that I like, but to no avail. Everything seemed far too pink and babyish and cutesy and fluffy. Just not me. I wanted the nursery to look like a room I'd actually want to spend time in. Bright and colorful and modern and fun. Which you can only attain if you're willing to drop 400 bucks on a crib bedding set. And since they don't have coupons for those, it wasn't likely to happen. Enter the generous offer from my mom and mother-in-law to make the crib bedding themselves! Ah, to be related to someone with a sewing machine! We spent an awesome two hours taking over the fabric department, matching patterns and debating colors, getting excited about all the potential. I felt like I was on some HGTV design show! I have two very creative, crafty ladies in my life. I am thrilled at the results.Isn't it pretty? We have stripes! And circles! Polka dots! Hot pink! Lime green! It's bright and colorful! I love it! Lee Anne is making a quilt featuring all the patterns seen here, plus some coordinating pillows. My mom is making the crib skirt and bumper, and perhaps some curtains. There is plenty of fabric left over so I can make some wall decorations or picture frames. Everything is going to look awesome in the nursery, which will be painted bright green to match. I really wanted something with a lot of different colors that I could pull out as accents, and this fabric definitely accomplishes that. I finally have a vision of it in my mind; I can finally start picturing what it will be like to sit in the rocking chair, holding Baby Girl, humming a lullaby...

We're getting closer! We're into week 27 now. The baby weighs around two pounds, or about as much as a head of cauliflower, according to the produce scale. I've officially outgrown anything that doesn't have "maternity" on the label or come from Matt's closet. Total strangers are starting to comment (such as the waiter at Mellow Mushroom who urged me to eat another pretzel because I am "eating for two"). Although I have to say, most people have asked before touching the belly. (The exception is my brother, but since he's the newly appointed god father/guardian, I figure he's allowed to pat his neice whenever he wants.)

House hunting update coming soon... Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Love what you picked out! It will all look great together. Happy nesting ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...