11.01.2009

Happy November! Oh, and I'm sick.

This post really should have been written yesterday, when the weather matched my mood. Yesterday was gloomy and overcast and all around yuck. Today the sun is shining, the sky is brilliant blue and it actually looks like fall outside, with yellow and red leaves galore. But none of that natural beauty changes the fact that I am sick. Terribly, horribly sick. And no, before you (or my mom) asks, it's not swine flu. I've been checking my temperature every few hours or so and no fever. It's just the common cold. The worst common cold I have ever had. My throat is raw. My nose is clogged. My head feels like it's been stuffed with wet, congealed oatmeal. Poor Matt has put up with me either sitting around with tissues stuffed up my nose (that used to be embarrassing but we're way past that point now) or waking him up with my whistling snore. (As he described, it was like I was having a conversation with some whales.) I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant, or my body just gave out on me after 10 weeks of student teaching, but it's bad. And although I'm approved to take a surprising amount of meds even in my condition, the thought kind of creeps me out, so I've only taken what Matt has absolutely insisted is necessary for both our sakes.

But enough complaining. You guys didn't come here to listen to me whine about my cold. How about some pictures? Here is a belly bump update, from top to bottom: 20 Weeks, 21 Weeks, 22 Weeks. (Today is the start of week 23, but that picture is going to have to wait until I can remove this tissue from my nose.) Fun fact! Week 21 features my five dollar sweatpants from Target! I'm currently wearing them as I type this. In fact, they're pretty much all I've worn since I wrapped up student teaching this past Friday. They might be the only pair of pants I wear again, that's how awesome they are. I've even worn them...gasp!...IN PUBLIC! Trust me, you have not seen the last of these sweatpants.

And for those of you keeping track, Baby has progressed from banana to carrot to spaghetti squash. Today she is a large mango! Mango Loughman... it has a nice ring to it. Ten bucks says some celebrity steals the name one of these days. As you can see from the current poll, celebrities are nuts when it comes to naming their children. Just because you are famous doesn't mean you can saddle your child with Diva Muffin (my favorite!) I mean, as a nickname, sure. But as a legal, given, stuck-with-forever name? Wow. For the record, Matt's been pulling for Moxie Crimefighter, so we'll see who comes out the winner in this poll. As for real baby names, Matt and I are still debating. It might have come down to three, all of which I like. One has sentimental value, one is a little controversial, and one is just pretty. But that's for another post.

Let's see, what other news do I have to share... Well, I wrapped up my student teaching on Friday. As a parting gift, my sweet students gave me this cold (awesome, thanks!) and an Umbrella of Love! They took an umbrella and all drew their pictures and names on it. So now every time I use it, I'll be "showered" with memories of my time with them. See what I did there? So witty. Anyway, it was an awesome experience, I'll miss them, and I've promised to visit again once this baby is born. One student hoped to hold the baby one day. When I expressed some hesitation, he attempted to reassure me. "No, I meant hold the baby with my hands." I told them they'd have to admire from a distance.

Wow, for someone claiming to be sick as a dog, this post is going on and on... In some super quick family news, my dad was in a scary car accident recently. One foggy morning he was traveling down a road he's driven on 5000 times, the weather obscured his view and he ended up skidding right off the road, 150 feet through the woods and into a ditch. It took two tow trucks to get the car out. Although the vehicle was a total loss, fortunately he is okay. So wear your seatbelts, folks. They really work. And if you're looking to sell a car, let me know. And congrats to my cousin Stephanie, who gave birth to a baby boy a few days ago. She labored 40-plus hours and ended up having a c-section. I will be discussing this with my midwife because 40-plus hours seems a little... excessive.

Okay, that's all for now. Sorry this one got long-winded. I've been cooped up in this house for too long now. Happy November everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...