12.31.2009

Goodbye 2009... Hello House!

So we did it! We closed on our house yesterday! Closing took forever. I was hoping for that magical moment when I would suddenly feel like a homeowner... Perhaps I would hear angels singing when the keys were handed across the table or the sun would burst out of the gray, hailing sky. I at least thought there would be a SOLD! banner on the real estate sign in the front yard that I could take a proud picture in front of. But nope. We just kept signing paper after paper. The lawyer did a good job of distilling each page of teeny tiny print into a one-sentence summary, but at the end of the day, I just slapped my signature on it like I was told. I thought it would be weird seeing the sellers, but they turned out to be completely lovely people (a good thing, since we were stuck there together for more than an hour while the law firm dealt with technical difficulties). But in the end, we got our shiny gold keys and fancy new house! And our wonderful real estate agent gave us an elegant box of stationary with our new address as a present. And she doesn't even know how much I adore snail mail! (And for the record, she totally offered to put up a SOLD! sign just for me, but I told her not to worry about it. Apparently that doesn't really happen anymore. But at least the for sale sign was gone by the time we finished closing.)

Naturally, to celebrate spending all that money, we went straight to Target so we could spend some more on a baby crib and take it to Olde Atlanta. I had a slight moment of panic when we walked in and all I could think of were all the things we needed to do, pack, move, fix, paint, change, buy... But then I remembered that this is our house to live in for a long, long time and we don't need to have everything perfect right away. I mean, like we would actually eat in our dining room even if we had furniture?! Still, it will be a relief to be in and unpacked. After moving every two years and religiously saving boxes each time so they can be reused, I really might light a huge bonfire with them after we're done with this move.

Now I just have to learn how to park in a garage. Knowing my skills, it will be harder than it looks!

And thus does 2009 draw to a close. We end it in a vastly different place than when we started. Never in my life would I have thought that this would be the year we got pregnant and bought our first house. That plan was so totally not on the agenda at this time last year, not even by a long shot. Why, my biggest goal at the beginning of 2009 was to run the Peachtree Road Race! And 2010 promises to be even bigger. As Donald Trump would say, it's gonna be the hugest, most amazing year ever. We'll keep you posted - thanks for coming along for the ride. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...